Cholesterol is an essential component that helps to produce hormones, build cells, and insulate nerves in the body.
Biologically, the body makes all the cholesterol that it needs in the liver, but we also increase its levels through food consumption.
When cholesterol becomes too much in the blood, it builds up in the arteries, which narrows them and reduces blood flow.
This buildup can easily cause a heart attack.
Reducing cholesterol levels in the blood is therefore crucial, and this is why we are discussing the best supplements to lower cholesterol levels 1.
Sometimes, even when you change your diet and incorporate exercise, your cholesterol levels might remain high.
At this point, you might want to consider cholesterol-lowering supplements.
But how do you identify the most effective supplement in the market?
This review looks at 5 of the best cholesterol-lowering supplements in the market, what they are, their ingredients, and pros& cons.
By the end of this review, you should be able to identify a supplement that will work well for you.
TOP 5: Best Supplements To Lower Cholesterol Levels 2020
CholesLo is a clinically and scientifically tested supplement that claims to lower cholesterol levels naturally.
Other than lowering cholesterol, it also improves lipid levels without the need for diets or exercise.
This supplement has been in the market for over 20 years, and it has proven to be effective every time.
The secret behind CholesLo’s success is a powerful formula containing only natural, no GMO ingredients.
These ingredients, ranging from herbs and vitamins to amino acids, have been used in the correct effective doses to ensure optimal benefits.
If you are a first time user of CholesLo, the maker advises that you start with a very low dose of one or two capsules the first few days, to see how your body reacts.
Starting from the second week, you may take up to four capsules per day, which is the recommended dosage.
You should continue with this dosage for about 4-6 weeks before checking your cholesterol levels.
If used as recommended, this supplement promises that you will see results within 30 days of use.
CholesLo is made in the USA in FDA approved labs by Health, Fitness and Longevity Solutions Inc.
The manufacturer is so confident on the success of this supplement that they offer a full refund + $ 100 cashback if you don’t see any results within 30 days.
Its makers believe that most cholesterol problems are caused by harmful changes to the hormones during the aging process.
CholesLo, therefore, works by delivering certain vital nutrients that the body requires as it ages to help it heal from within.
These nutrients are contained in ingredients that vary from herbs, amino acids, and vitamins.
In this supplement, they are formulated into five blends, including:
- Lipid Optimizer – This balances cholesterol and lipid levels.
- Triglyceride Reducer – this blend lowers fatty triglycerides and improves circulation.
- Homocysteine Minimizer – Helps lower disease-causing Homocysteines.
- Inflammation Reducer – Lowers inflammations which could cause heart attacks.
- Liver Cleansing Formula – Cleanses and repairs the liver.
Here are the three main ingredients in this cholesterol-lowering supplement that make it so effective:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – Breaks down carbohydrates in the body and regulates blood sugar.
- Milk Thistle – Milk Thistle contains an active ingredient called Silymarin, which acts as an antioxidant in the body. This detoxifying effect is essential for cleansing the liver.
- Turmeric – Turmeric has an active ingredient called curcumin. Curcumin has numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammations and also as an antioxidant 2.
- Made from natural, no GMO ingredients.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
- Lowers cholesterol levels in 30 days.
- Generous money-back guarantee.
- Has been around for 20 years.
- Numerous positive reviews from users.
- Causes stomach ache and joint pain.
- Clinical trials are not independently verified.
2. Nature Made CholestOff
Having healthy cholesterol levels is vital for maintaining a healthy heart.
When you have too much cholesterol in your blood, it may damage the artery linings, putting you at risk for heart disease.
CholestOff by Nature Made is a supplement designed to lower your dietary cholesterol.
It contains 1800mg daily of plant sterols and stanols, in comparison to NIH Therapeutic Lifestyle Change Guidelines, which recommend 2000mg daily.
Plant sterols and stanols have been seen to reduce the absorption of dietary cholesterol into the bloodstream.
CholestOff is made from carefully selected ingredients and contains no preservatives or artificial flavors.
For best results, you are advised to take two caplets per day with meals.
This supplement is manufactured in the USA by Nature Made, a company that has been making dietary supplements for over 40 years.
CholestOff is available online from Amazon, Walgreens, and iHerb.
CholestOff relies on a proprietary blend of plant sterols and stanols called Reducol to give the promised results.
Plant sterols and stanols are substances found in different plants that have been seen to lower cholesterol levels.
Specifically, these substances help to lower levels of ‘bad cholesterol’ by reducing the amount of cholesterol absorption into the bloodstream.
This, in turn, reduces the risk of heart disease.
Here are the main ingredients in this cholesterol-lowering supplement that make it so effective:
- Plant Sterols/ Stanols – The plant sterols and stanols used in this formula are extracted from pine trees. These plant substances block the absorption of cholesterol in the bloodstream. When this happens, the body draws out the ‘bad cholesterol’ to be able to conduct functions such as making bile.
- Calcium Carbonate – This ingredient is used to increase the amount of calcium in the body. Calcium is essential for healthy bones, muscles and the heart 3.
- Contains ingredients in quantities recommended by NIH Therapeutic Lifestyle Change Guidelines.
- Does not include any additives.
- Available at several online stores such as Amazon and Walgreens.
- Made by a company with many years in the business.
- The official website has scanty information on the product.
- Prices may vary depending on each re-seller.
3. HPF Cholestene Red Yeast Rice
HPF Cholestene Red Yeast Rice 4 is a dietary supplement recommended for cholesterol management.
The makers of HPF Cholestene acknowledge that one of the root causes of high cholesterol is a poor diet.
Eating a proper diet combined with exercise and HPF Cholestene can lower your cholesterol levels substantially.
The main ingredient, red yeast rice, can also help prevent heart inflammation and disease while protecting blood vessel linings.
For best results, the manufacturer recommends that you take two capsules per day with a meal.
You should not take this supplement if you are expectant or nursing, or if you have had major surgery within the last eight weeks.
HPF Cholestene Red Yeast Rice is manufactured in the USA by Healthy Origins, a company that has been making dietary supplements for 20 years.
It is made in a GMP and FDA approved facility.
Shipping, however, might be restricted for some countries.
HPF Cholestone relies on its main ingredient, red yeast rice, to do all the work.
Red yeast rice contains high amounts of monacolin K, a plant chemical that is known to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
Monacolin K is the same ingredient found in Lovastatin, a prescription drug for cholesterol management.
Studies have shown that monacolin K can help reduce ‘bad’ cholesterol levels by up to 16% in 12 weeks.
Here is the main ingredient in this cholesterol-lowering supplement that makes it so effective:
- Red Yeast Rice – Red Yeast Rice is extracted from white rice that has been fermented with a yeast called Monascus Purpureus. It has its origins in China, where it has been used as medicine for hundreds of years. It has also been used as food coloring and preservatives. Red Yeast Rice contains ingredients that have been seen to lower cholesterol levels, such as Monalin K. It also contains several forms of monosaturated fatty acids or ‘healthy fat.’
- Made from natural ingredients.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
- Available in various outlets online.
- Does not contain artificial ingredients or fillers.
- Relies on only one ingredient to do all the work.
- May cause abdominal discomfort.
- Price may vary depending on the seller.
4. Genius Heart & Cardiovascular Health Supplement
Genius Heart is a dietary supplement that supports the cardiovascular system.
It naturally lowers blood pressure helping you to avoid hypertension.
Additionally, Genius Heart aids in the maintenance of proper cholesterol levels, which promotes cardiovascular health.
In contrast with other cholesterol supplements, Genius Heart also contains ingredients that improve brain function, clarity, and focus.
Studies have shown that poor cardiovascular health may be related to Alzheimer’s and dementia.
As such, having a healthy heart is vital for mental health as well, and this can be boosted by taking Genius Heart.
For best results, it is recommended that you take two capsules per day.
Genius Heart is manufactured in the USA by The Genius Brand, a dietary supplement making company.
Genius Heart & Cardiovascular relies on a carefully selected blend of ingredients to provide the following benefits:
- It supports healthy blood pressure levels – It boosts blood circulation and uses a natural ingredient known to reduce hypertension.
- It helps lower cholesterol – It helps you to maintain a healthy balance between ‘bad’ and ‘good’ cholesterol in the blood.
- It boosts brain health – Having a healthy heart also means having a healthy mind that is focused and clear.
- It elevates nitric oxide levels in the body-boosting circulation – Nitric oxide widens vessels, which increases blood flow to different areas.
- It boosts cardiovascular endurance & performance – A healthy heart will deliver more oxygen and nutrients to the rest of the body, boosting your performance and endurance.
Here are three main ingredients in this cholesterol-lowering supplement that make it so effective:
- Pantesin Pantethene – This proprietary blend works to maintain balanced cholesterol levels in the cells. Studies show that pantesin, which is an active form of Vitamin B5, positively alters the balance of ‘bad’ cholesterol and ‘good’ cholesterol in the body 5.
- Meganatural BP Grape Seed Extract – This blend is made from natural grapefruits. Studies have shown that it is quite effective in reducing high blood pressure and hypertension. It also boosts blood circulation and promotes vein support in the body.
- Micro active CoQ10 – This blend provides ‘smart energy’ to the cells. C0Q10 is a coenzyme whose levels decline with age. This mainly affects the heart, as it is one of the organs that require more cellular energy. The blend in Genius Heart is clinically proven to be easily absorbed in the body, boosting cellular energy within 24 hours.
- Ingredient effectiveness backed by scientific studies.
- Provides five benefits in one pill.
- Available from various online stores.
- Has numerous positive reviews online.
- Does not disclose the amounts of ingredients used in the blends.
- Price discrepancies depending on the seller.
5. Heart Saviour
Heart Saviour is a dietary supplement that lowers cholesterol and promotes heart health.
It does this by using a combination of potent ingredients with scientifically proven benefits.
These ingredients attack cholesterol from 6 distinct ways
The manufacturer claims that it is the most comprehensive heart health product in the market.
Heart Saviour was formulated as an alternative to cholesterol prescription drugs that carry adverse side effects.
As an alternative, it is quite safe to use as it is made from natural ingredients.
For best results, it is recommended that you take two capsules in the morning and two capsules in the evening with a meal.
You should not take this supplement if you are under 18 years, expectant or nursing.
Most importantly, Heart Saviour should not be combined with other statin drugs or other cholesterol-lowering medication.
Heart Saviour is manufactured by New Health Corp, a supplements company based in North Carolina, USA.
Heart Saviour relies on several ingredients to bring you the following benefits:
- Lower cholesterol levels.
- Promote heart health.
- Reduce inflammation in the arteries.
- Lower C Reactive protein levels.
Here are three main ingredients in this cholesterol-lowering supplement that make it so effective:
- Coenzyme Q10 – This coenzyme is responsible for cell function. CoQ10 levels in the body decrease with age but is particularly low in people suffering from certain conditions such as cancer, heart problems, HIV and diabetes. Increasing C0Q10 supplements can raise its levels in the body. Proper levels promote efficiency in heart and muscle cells.
- Red Yeast Rice – Red Yeast Rice is made by fermenting rice with a yeast called Monascus purpureus. It has been used as medicine in China for many centuries. The ancient Chinese used it to boost blood circulation, stimulate the spleen and to soothe stomach upsets. In this fermented state red yeast rice contains substances called monacolins that inhibit the production of cholesterol in the body.
- Niacin – Niacin is used to reduce high blood pressure and improve blood cholesterol levels. This is because it can improve lipid profiles for LDL cholesterol. A form of Niacin known as Inositol Hexanicotinate or ‘Flush Free Niacin’ has been seen to increase HDL levels (good cholesterol) by up to 30% 6.
- Contains scientifically proven ingredients.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Available in various online stores.
- Improves heart function.
- Generally positive reviews.
- Huge price discrepancy between Amazon and the official website.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is a cholesterol-lowering supplement?
A cholesterol-lowering supplement is a dietary supplement that is designed to lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
The majority of cholesterol-lowering supplements contain ingredients that either increase the rates of HDL (good cholesterol) in the blood or reduce the amounts of LDL (bad cholesterol) in the blood.
What are some of the benefits of cholesterol-lowering supplements?
Some of the benefits of cholesterol-lowering supplements include:
- Lowering the levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol in the body.
- Improving heart health and functionality.
- Reducing inflammation in the arteries.
- They support healthy blood pressure levels.
- Some boost brain health.
Who should use cholesterol-lowering supplements?
People who have high cholesterol levels should consider taking cholesterol-lowering supplements.
This is because they are at high risk of associated health issues such as heart disease and stroke.
Older people should also consider taking cholesterol-lowering supplements.
This is because the possibility of heart problems increases with age.
The production of Coenzyme Q10, which is responsible for cell function, decreases with age.
This reduces the functionality of the heart and muscle cells.
Taking a supplement with C0Q10 can boost cell function in the heart.
It is important to note that high cholesterol does not have any specific symptoms.
As such, even people who think that they might not have high cholesterol levels might do.
Doctors recommend that anyone above the age of 20 years have their cholesterol levels checked at least once every five years.
Which ingredients should I expect to see in a cholesterol-lowering supplement?
Ingredients vary widely between cholesterol-lowering supplements, but you should look out for the following in a good supplement:
- Red Yeast Rice.
- Coenzyme Q10.
- Grape seed extract.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid.
- Omega 3 Fish Oil.
- Green tea extract.
- Plant sterols.
- Flax seeds.
How can I decide which cholesterol-lowering supplement to use?
The first thing to consider when choosing a cholesterol-lowering supplement is the type of cholesterol that it will work on.
Most supplements work by either lowering the levels of ‘bad cholesterol,’ that is LDL or increasing the levels of ‘good cholesterol’ that is HDL.
Bad cholesterol causes build up in the arteries, reducing blood flow.
This may cause a heart attack.
Another factor to consider is the ingredients in the supplement.
Some supplements like HPF Cholestene contain only one active ingredient, while others contain multiple components.
It is important to weigh which ingredients are effective and also in what quantities.
Cost is also an important factor. Our review has revealed that supplements sold at multiple stores have different pricing depending on the store.
For example, a 30-day supply of Heart Saviour costs $ 39.95 on the official website and $ 27.97 on Amazon, at the time of this review.
Other factors to consider include accessibility, dosage, and taste.
What are the side effects of cholesterol-lowering supplements?
Most cholesterol-lowering supplements are made from natural ingredients and thus do not have adverse side effects.
There could be some isolated cases however based on the ingredients used in a supplement.
Common issues that may arise include bloating, abdominal discomfort, constipation, diarrhea and gas.
These issues should be minor however, and if any persists, you should consider stopping and possibly seeing a doctor.
Most cholesterol-lowering supplements warn against combining the supplements with other prescription drugs.
Naturally, you should not take these supplements if you are expectant or nursing.
Should I combine a gym workout with cholesterol-lowering supplements?
Yes, you should. Eating a balanced diet and being physically active can contribute highly to lowering your cholesterol levels.
Some supplements, such as HPF Cholestene, are designed to work in conjunction with a good exercise program.
Exercise has been proven to increase the levels of good cholesterol in the blood.
Lower cholesterol also has the direct effect of improving heart health.
In this review, we have looked at five of the best cholesterol-lowering supplements in the market.
While cholesterol plays a crucial role in the body, too much of it can cause us great harm.
The best ways to lower cholesterol levels is to combine a healthy diet with exercise.
Depending on your circumstances, you may want to incorporate cholesterol-lowering supplements in your routine.
If you have been thinking about supplements but have no idea where to start, this article is for you.
We have reviewed five of the best cholesterol-lowering supplements in the market today.
We have looked at their ingredients, how they work, who makes them, and even their pros & cons.
All you have to do now is pick one and kick-start a healthier, new you.
- Steinberg, Daniel, et al. “Beyond cholesterol.” New England Journal of Medicine 320.14 (1989): 915-924. https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM198904063201407
- Govindarajan, V. S., and William H. Stahl. “Turmeric—chemistry, technology, and quality.” Critical Reviews in Food Science & Nutrition 12.3 (1980): 199-301. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408398009527278
- Kato, Takashi, Ayae Sugawara, and Naoya Hosoda. “Calcium carbonate–organic hybrid materials.” Advanced Materials 14.12 (2002): 869-877. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/1521-4095(20020618)14:12%3C869::AID-ADMA869%3E3.0.CO;2-E
- Heber, David, et al. “Cholesterol-lowering effects of a proprietary Chinese red-yeast-rice dietary supplement.” The American journal of clinical nutrition 69.2 (1999): 231-236. https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article-abstract/69/2/231/4694132
- Rumberger, John A., et al. “Pantethine, a derivative of vitamin B5 used as a nutritional supplement, favorably alters low-density lipoprotein cholesterol metabolism in low–to moderate–cardiovascular risk North American subjects: a triple-blinded placebo and diet-controlled investigation.” Nutrition research 31.8 (2011): 608-615. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531711001461
- Bays, H. E., and D. J. Rader. “Does nicotinic acid (niacin) lower blood pressure?.” International journal of clinical practice 63.1 (2009): 151-159. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2008.01934.x