The immune system1 is the body’s natural defense against diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, and toxins.
It is also responsible for identifying foreign cells that might cause harm to the body and its organs.
When our immune system is weak, we become susceptible to illness and infections.
This not only leads to regular hospital visits but may lower our quality of life.
Often, the foods we eat might not provide all the nutrients required to sustain a healthy immune system.
In such cases, immune-boosting supplements2 can come in handy.
This article discusses the best immune system boosters available in the market today.
It will look at what they are, how they work, their ingredients, and even their pros and cons.
It will also answer some of the most common questions you might have about immune-boosting supplements.
After reading this review, you will be in a better position to choose the right immune booster for yourself and your loved ones.
TOP 5: Best Immune System Boosters
1. Immune Defence
Immune Defence is a potent formula designed to strengthen the immune system and ward off symptoms of cold and flu.
It comes in the form of zinc lozenges infused with vitamin C, rosehip, and acerola.
These ingredients are all-natural and do not cause any side effects if taken within the recommended doses.
This supplement can be taken regularly to keep the immune system robust, during times of excessive stress and on the onset of colds and flu.
Immune Defence is particularly ideal for susceptible groups like the elderly and children, and those always on the move.
Flu season is one of the times when you need your immune system to be in perfect working order.
This immune booster will supply the needed vitamins to protect you against infection but also increases your chances of faster recovery by 50%.
For the best results, the manufacturer recommends that you suck on one lozenge every two hours as needed.
You should, however, not take more than four lozenges per day, as this can cause nausea, abdominal pain, and lethargy.
Immune Defence is manufactured in the United Kingdom by Swiss Research Labs Ltd, a company that specializes in health and wellness products.
It is available for purchase from the official website immunedefence.com and ships worldwide.
Immune Defence comes with a 100-day money-back guarantee.
Immune Defense works by providing the body with the necessary nutrients required to maintain a healthy immune system.
Zinc is crucial in the production and development of cells that provide the body with immunity.
It also plays a role against infections of the respiratory tract infections such as the common cold by reducing their severity and duration.
Vitamin C, on the other hand, is an essential vitamin that helps in the production of white blood cells on the body.
White blood cells are responsible for creating antibodies that fight off infections from bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens.
Because vitamin C is also an antioxidant, it protects these white blood cells from free radical damage, ensuring that they function correctly.
The three top ingredients in this immune booster include:
- Zinc: Zinc is an essential mineral that the body requires to perform numerous functions. Some of these include boosting the immune system, proper growth of a fetus during pregnancy, and the effective healing of wounds3.
- Rosehip Cut Flowers: Rosehip flowers contain a high amount of vitamin C, and for this reason, it is used in many vitamin C supplements. It is also a potent anti-inflammatory that protects cells from damage.
- Acerola: Similar to rosehip, acerola is an abundant source of vitamin C. This makes it a powerful antioxidant that protects cells from damage caused by free radicals. Other than vitamin C, acerola contains vitamin A and several B vitamins. It is useful in correcting vitamin C deficiencies.
- Immune Defence is formulated from natural ingredients.
- It boosts immunity and reduces symptoms of cold & flu.
- This supplement can be used every day to keep the body protected.
- Its efficacy is backed by scientific research.
- It is ideal for vegans and vegetarians.
- Comes in a pleasant aniseed flavor.
- The product comes with a 100-day money-back guarantee.
- Can be used by the whole family starting at 12 years.
- The manufacturer ships worldwide.
- Only available on the official website.
- Exceeding the dose can impair copper absorption in the body causing a deficiency.
2. Immune Support
Immune Support is an everyday dietary supplement designed to maintain the immune system.
It is formulated from natural botanical extracts, vitamins, and antioxidants that offer multiple benefits.
The efficacy of these ingredients has been discussed in health & science media, including Healthline, Medical News Today, and Science Daily.
Immune Support protects cells by fighting free radicals and oxidation, allowing them to function effectively.
It also combines a variety of traditional ingredients combined with more modern elements to give wholesome, natural support.
To get all the benefits of this supplement, you should take two capsules daily, preferably with a meal.
Immune Support is manufactured by Vita Balance, a company that makes numerous other health supplements.
It is made in the USA in an FDA/GMP accredited facility and ships to 23 countries worldwide.
Immune Support utilizes its ingredients to provide a much-needed boost to the immune system.
The antioxidants protect body cells from damage caused by free radicals or unstable molecules.
Free radicals can be caused by toxins in the body or the environment.
They can cause illness, accelerate aging, and compromise the immune system.
The various herbal extracts enable the body to fight off different disease-causing elements.
They also prepare the body by bolstering the immune system, ensuring that it is ready to fight off any infections that might occur.
The three top ingredients in this immune booster include:
- Green Tea Leaves: Green tea leaves increase the body’s production of T-Cells. These cells protect the body from disease-causing elements, which boosts immune function. T-cells also help to suppress autoimmune diseases4.
- Mushroom Complex: This is a combination of Shiitake, Maitake, and Reishi powders extracted from the several mushrooms. Mushrooms have been seen to increase the body’s production of white blood cells, responsible for fighting off disease. They also have anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E increases the production of T-cells, and also protects them from free radical damage. It helps the immune system to fight off infection due to its potent antioxidant properties5.
- It is formulated from a combination of antioxidants, vitamins, and botanicals.
- Does not cause any side effects.
- Can be used every day as an immune booster.
- Made in the USA in FDA approved labs.
- It has been tested for quality by a third party.
- Not suitable for vegans.
- Has very few reviews on the official website.
- This product does not come with a money-back guarantee.
3. Performance Lab Prebiotic
Performance Lab Prebiotic is a specialty formula designed to boost the body’s immune, metabolic, and digestive systems.
A probiotic is a combination of healthy bacteria and yeasts that the body needs to function correctly, particularly in the gastrointestinal tract.
Some supplements might include too much or too little of probiotics, which can either overload the system or be of no use to it.
Performance Lab Prebiotic is formulated to nourish the body’s already existing probiotic environment, providing growth and boosting health.
It also contains fibers that support digestion and supports microbiomes to boost immunity in the gastrointestinal tract.
This supplement also aids in weight loss by suppressing appetite and also promotes a healthy environment for adequate nutrient absorption.
This prebiotic is ideal for anyone looking to boost gut health and gain associated benefits, including immunity and weight loss.
To get these and other benefits, the manufacturer recommends that you take three capsules with your breakfast and another three with your lunch or next meal.
You should swallow these with plenty of water, and you should not exceed the recommended dose.
This immunity booster is manufactured by Opti Nutra, a leading nutraceutical company based in the United Kingdom.
Performance Lab Prebiotic targets various areas, including immunity, digestive health, and metabolic health.
When it comes to digestive performance, this prebiotic provides a robust environment for Bifidobacterium, a group of bacteria living in the gut.
These contribute to effective digestion and an efficient breakdown of nutrients.
These bacteria also produce lactic acid, starving off harmful pathogens such as E Coli.
By enhancing the spread of immune cells such as lymphocytes and macrophages, this prebiotic promotes a healthy immune system.
Another meaningful way that this booster works is by promoting sufficient nutrition by providing a favorable environment for the absorption of minerals and vitamins.
This prebiotic absorbs water and swells in the stomach, blocking the hunger hormone and causing one to feel full.
This helps in suppressing appetite, which is beneficial in weight control.
The main ingredients in Performance Lab Prebiotic are:
- Orafti® Synergy1 Inulin-FOS: This is a combination of Inulin and FOS, soluble sugar fibers extracted from the chicory root. When ingested, Inulin-FOS passes through the digestive tract to the colon intact. Once here, it feeds and promotes the growth of selective bacteria such as Bifidobacterium. These bacteria then increase the digestive, immune and metabolic functions in the body.
- Fiber: The fiber in this formula plays a vital role in the softening of stool, allowing it to be passed easily. It also sucks water from watery stool, making it firmer.
- Formulated from natural ingredients that do not cause any side effects.
- Boosts immunity and supports digestive regularity.
- Can suppress appetite and promote weight loss.
- Does not contain allergens like soy, shellfish or gluten.
- Ideal for vegans and vegetarians.
- Helps bone health by increasing calcium absorption.
- Comes with a 30-day performance promise.
- Does not contain caffeine, artificial additives or sugars.
- Money-back guarantee applies only to the first order.
- The supplement should be combined with a healthy diet and exercise to give the promised results.
- Free shipping applies only when you purchase three bottles or more.
4. Dr. Tobias Deep Immune
Dr. Tobias Deep Immune supplement is a formulation of 4.4 billion colony units of probiotics infused with selected prebiotics.
Probiotics are healthy bacteria, while prebiotics comprises of dietary fibers feeding these bacteria in the gut, ensuring a healthy digestive system.
This advanced formula will deliver gut health and boost your immune system.
It is made with the belief that a healthy gut contributes significantly to a healthy immune system.
The combination of bacteria in this formula is designed to withstand stomach acids to be released in the intestines for maximum effectiveness.
These natural ingredients have been carefully selected by vitamin experts and manufactured in a GMP certified facility.
Because this immune booster does not require refrigeration, you can carry it with you and use it anywhere at any time.
Dr. Tobias Deep Immune can be used by both men and women who are looking to boost their digestive health.
For the best results, you should take two capsules daily with a meal.
You can purchase this immune booster from Amazon, where it has numerous positive reviews.
It is manufactured by Dr. Tobias, a brand founded in Germany in 2013 with production facilities in the United States.
The manufacturer cautions that this supplement can cause bloating, stomach cramps, nausea, constipation, and diarrhea in first-time users.
Dr. Tobias Deep Immune uses selected strains of probiotics and prebiotics to ensure digestive health.
The chosen strains form endospores to protect themselves as they move down the gut, enabling them to survive harsh stomach acidity, arriving in the intestines intact.
Here, they multiply and flood the gut with healthy, beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion.
They also improve the absorption of minerals and vitamins from food, ensuring that your body gets all the nutrients that it needs.
Similarly, these bacteria starve off and eliminate harmful microorganisms that may otherwise cause damage.
Prebiotics also ensure smooth bowel movements, removing issues of constipation.
The prebiotics infused in this formula feeds the probiotics, improving their overall performance.
- Formulated from a selection of potent probiotics.
- Does not require refrigeration.
- Withstands stomach acids to function in the intestines.
- Manufactured in FDA approved facilities.
- Has numerous positive reviews on Amazon.
- The manufacturer makes several other health supplements.
- The returns and refunds policy is not clear.
- Discounts only apply to the first order.
- Can cause side effects including stomach cramps, constipation, and diarrhea in first-time users.
5. Wholesome Wellness Organic Probiotic
This is a doctor-formulated probiotic that contains 100 billion units of raw, live bacteria, nine digestive enzymes, and five types of prebiotics.
It guarantees to improve your gut health, boost the immune system, promote effective nutrient absorption, and promote regularity.
This probiotic also reduces gas and bloating, helps with weight management, and reduces cholesterol levels.
It is designed to have a long shelf-life, retaining beneficial bacteria that can otherwise be lost from heat, moisture, and oxygen.
It’s acid-resistant capsules delay release, giving them ample time to bypass stomach acids to be released in the intestines where it is most needed.
To get all the benefits, it is recommended that you take one capsule per day with plenty of water.
This Prebiotic is manufactured by Wholesome Wellness, a company based in Oregon, USA.
It is available for purchase from Amazon or the Wholesome Wellness website.
This immune booster contains 34 different strains of probiotics that ensure the proper functioning of the digestive system.
They promote gut health by reducing the amount of fat absorbed, creating balance in gut bacteria.
Bacteria strains such as B. longum and S. cerevisiae fight constipation, ensuring regular bowel movements.
The digestive enzymes in this formula help to break down proteins, carbohydrates, and fats, allowing them to be absorbed more efficiently in the body.
This also reduces instances of bloating, gas, and stomach aches that may arise from indigestion.
When the gut has an abundance of healthy bacteria, this benefits the whole body and increases its defenses against infections and allergies.
The three main ingredients in this immune booster include:
- Prebiotic Fiber Blend: There are five types of prebiotics infused in this formula. Prebiotics are a type of fiber that primarily feeds the friendly bacteria in the gut. This provides a healthy environment for the bacteria to multiply and improve gastrointestinal health.
- Digestive enzymes: These are proteins that break down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins in the body. This makes the nutrients easier to absorb, promoting healthy digestion, and reducing instances of problems such as irritable bowel syndrome.
- Fruit & vegetable blend: This blend comprises of carrot, strawberry, raspberry, green pea, plum, and red bell pepper. These provide much-needed fiber, which keeps the digestive system moving. The berries are high in antioxidants and vitamin C, which protects cells from damage, keeping them healthy. They are also rich in fiber and potassium, which contributes to overall health.
- The formula contains over 100 billion probiotics in 34 different strains.
- Relives digestive problems and boosts the immune system.
- This supplement does not need refrigeration.
- The capsule is designed with a delayed-release technology allowing it to reach the intestines intact.
- It is made from natural ingredients formulated by doctors.
- It is manufactured in the USA in FDA approved labs.
- This immune booster is Non-GMO and vegan friendly.
- Enjoys many positive reviews on Amazon.
- Does not contain any dairy, soy, hormones or preservatives.
- The manufacturer does not provide scientific evidence to back up claims.
- Very few testimonials on the official website.
- Results are not standard and vary from person to person.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is an immune system booster?
An immune system booster is any type of dietary supplement taken to support or improve the functioning of the immune system.
What are some of the benefits of immune system boosters?
Some of the benefits you can expect from immune boosters include:
- An improved digestive system.
- Faster recovery from colds & flu.
- A healthier and more robust immune system.
- Fewer infections and improved overall health.
- More effective nutrient absorption.
- Lower cholesterol and weight loss benefits.
- Reduced instances of constipation, bloating and gas.
Who should use immune system boosters?
Immune system boosters can be used by anyone looking to strengthen their immune system or to fight off illness.
They are especially beneficial to vulnerable groups such as the elderly and children.
Immune boosters can also be used by people with fast-paced lifestyles who might not have time to consume healthy, balanced meals.
Some probiotic infused boosters are recommended for men and women aged 40 and above.
Which ingredients should I expect to see in an immune booster?
The majority of immune boosters will have:
- A variety of vitamins such as A, C, D, and E
- Minerals like zinc, potassium, iron, and selenium
- Digestive enzymes
- Herbs such as chicory root, green tea extract, rosehip, mushrooms
How can I decide on which immune system booster to use?
One of the things to look at when picking an immune booster is the ingredients.
You should opt for one that has the right elements, including vitamins and minerals.
If you are looking at boosting your digestive system, you should consider the number of probiotics infused in the formula.
Looking at what other customers are saying is also essential as it can give you an idea of the efficacy of the product.
What are the side effects of immune system boosters?
Because most immune system boosters are formulated from natural ingredients, they will not have any significant side effects.
You should, however, confirm the ingredients used to verify that you are not allergic to any of them.
Further, you should not exceed the recommended dose as doing so can cause stomach pains, constipation, nausea, and diarrhea.
First-time users may also experience these symptoms, but this should resolve quickly.
Should I combine a gym workout with immune system boosters?
Yes, this would be advisable.
Regular exercise has numerous health benefits, including strengthening the immune system.
Exercise can help slow down pathogens, reduce inflammation, and minimize the chances of infection.
Some immune boosters, such as Performance Lab Prebiotic, actually recommend that you pair them with a healthy diet and exercise.
A healthy immune system is the body’s first line of defense against disease-causing pathogens.
A compromised immune system cannot fight off infection or identify and eliminate harmful intruders in the body.
The immune system boosters discussed in this review strengthen not only the immune system but also the digestive system.
This is important because a healthy gut impacts the whole body positively, while the reverse is also true.
Giving your body enough ammunition to fight illness is one of the best things you can do for your health.
We believe that you will take advantage of the immune boosters discussed here to supercharge your immune system.
- Farmer, J. Doyne, Norman H. Packard, and Alan S. Perelson. “The immune system, adaptation, and machine learning.” Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena 22.1-3 (1986): 187-204. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/016727898690240X
- Woodland, David L. “Jump-starting the immune system: prime–boosting comes of age.” Trends in immunology 25.2 (2004): 98-104. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1471490603003673
- Rink, Lothar. “Zinc and the immune system.” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 59.4 (2000): 541-552. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/proceedings-of-the-nutrition-society/article/zinc-and-the-immune-system/23B26245CF0F773E5F1AA19E9800B82B
- Sheikhzadeh, Najmeh, et al. “Immunomodulatory effects of decaffeinated green tea (Camellia sinensis) on the immune system of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss).” Fish & shellfish immunology 31.6 (2011): 1268-1269. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1050464811003469
- Reddy, P. G., et al. “Effect of supplemental vitamin E on the immune system of calves.” Journal of Dairy Science 69.1 (1986): 164-171. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030286803824